DBF to Shape OGR JOIN, PHP crashes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Wed Sep 14 18:05:18 EDT 2005

On 9/14/05, Christopher R. Thorne <christhorne at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hello list,
> I am trying to solve an OGR Connection to JOIN a shape file to a DBF
> problem. I cannot figure out weather it is my layer definition or
> something else.
>
> I HAVE been able to get a join work with a different data set, but it
> seems there are some problems with the layer(data) I wish to display.
> Every time I try the Join. My CPU goes to %100 do to PHP.exe failing to
> close. I have to reboot my windows machine.
>
> Other than size of data set (meaning bigger) I cannot see any difference
> with my layer definition.

Chris,

Does the .dbf file have an OGR style index on the the BBL field?  If
not, the join will be exceedingly slow for any non-trivial dataset.
Have you tried the join from the ogrinfo commandline to isolate it from
MapServer related issues?   If you think you have proper attribute
indexes, and if things are still slow you can package up an example
I can test with ogrinfo and I will look at it.

Best regards,