64bit/Dual Core Issues and Recommendations?

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at SYNACK-HOSTING.COM
Thu Sep 15 01:32:07 EDT 2005

Sun just released some nice 1U Opteron boxes and they look to be
_VERY_ competitively priced, they start at $795. They run Solaris,
Linux or Windows.

At work we have 120 Dual Opteron 246 machines. They are using the
Tyan S2891 board in a Chenbro RM214 case. They have been running at
100% CPU utilization for three months solid without a single problem.
We benchmarked the Xeon EMT64 as well and the Opteron was faster and
ran a _LOT_ cooler (and used less power).

Of course none of this is GIS/Mapserver related, so that doesn't help
with that part of your question.

shawn