64bit/Dual Core Issues and Recommendations?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Thu Sep 15 10:24:01 EDT 2005

On 9/15/05, Bill Binko <bill at binko.net> wrote:
> I will be doing fairly intensive mapping applications, involving
> Mapserver, Mapscript, GDAL (For aerials), and lots of PostGIS dynamic
> queries against a pretty hefty database.
>
> Since I don't want to pay a Dell/HP premium, I have looked at the 1U
> barebones systems on newegg, and basically, there are three options:
>
> 1) Dual Opteron 64 - dual core is optional
> 2) Pentium (4 or D) - Hyperthreading and/or Dual Core is optional
> 3) Dual Xeon EM64T
>
> From what I can tell, these all have different sweet spots, and all will
> perform high enough for my needs.  What I DON'T want is to be fighting
> fires due to problematic 64bit issues.

Bill,

I don't have direct experience unfortunately, but I have heard a
few complaints about 64bit AMD support as well for GDAL.  If I
were you and looking for a "safe" bet I would stick with a 32bit
solution.

If anyone out there has an Opteron system running linux that
they would like to provide me with a testing account on, I would
be interested in building and testing some components (ie
GDAL, MapServer).

Best regards,