routing

Stephan Holl holl at GDF-HANNOVER.DE
Thu Sep 22 05:00:12 EDT 2005

Hello Paolo, Till,

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:03:25 +0200 Paolo Cavallini
<cavallini at FAUNALIA.IT> wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded. Quite reassuring to see that the
> solution I had in mind are those you suggested.
> I never used the pg module; is it possible to define only one start
> and end point, or can I select multiple points?
> I have cursorily read the README, but could not find it.
> As Stephan pointed out, I would be inclined towards GRASS, but the
> database approach seems more compact. Anybody has tried both methods,
> and can arguments about respective merits?

I have not set up the proposed pgis-solution, but the GRASS-version.
It has some requirements to make it work. AFAIK it is currently
only doable on GNU/Linux machines with the latest gdal/ogr-code. Once
you have that set up you can use the GRASS-network-algorithms even on
data stored in pgis (using v.extrenal).
The needed topology (which is actually a pseudo-topolgy) is stored
inside GRASS.

If you need further information about the GRASS-part, contact me.

Best regards

	Stephan

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508