map projection question from a newbie

Thu Sep 22 08:09:10 EDT 2005

Hi James,

You are doing nothing wrong. Mapserver takes the coordinate in the file
and treats them as X/Y and generates the images based on this. If you
plot geographic long/lat as X/Y you get an elongated image. xastir must
be compensating for the fact that it is geographic data and applying a
hidden projection of some type.

Mapserver does not do this. if you want it projected you have to
EXPLICITLY tell it to perform a projection.

In the mapfile, you can define the OUTPUT projection in the MAP object
and the projection that the data is in in the LAYER object, or you can
leave all the PROJECT ... END blocks out if they are all the same and it
will just plot the data as X/Y.

-Steve W.