A question of scale

Bart van den Eijnden BEN at SYNCERA-ITSOLUTIONS.NL
Thu Sep 22 10:54:13 EDT 2005

Frans,

there are so many explanations from Ed McNierney on this issue in the Mapserver archive. Among others:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0211/msg00186.html

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0208/msg00056.html

And OGC already left the ScaleHints at WMS 1.3 ...... and replaced it with MinScaleDenominator and MaxScaleDenominator which is basically what Mapserver has. See also:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/data2/wilma/mapserver-users/0401/msg00594.html

Best regards,
Bart

Bart van den Eijnden
Syncera IT Solutions
Postbus 270
2600 AG  DELFT

tel.nr.: 015-7512436
email: BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.nl

>>> Frans Knibbe <frans at GEODAN.NL> 22-9-2005 15:11:50 >>>
Hello,

Currently I am setting minimum and maximum scales for layers and classes
in the map file. This works leads me to the question how scale is
defined in mapserver. I could not find it in the documentation. Does
anyone know what is meant by scale in the context of the MINSCALE and
MAXSCALE keywords?

And wouldn't it be better to use scalehints (as defined by the OGC) in
stead of scale? That would also make the settings less confusing because
MINSCALE is used for maximum scale and vice versa.

Regards,

Frans