GIF labeling

Chip Taylor work at XWB.COM
Wed Sep 28 18:26:52 EDT 2005

I am now attempting to do something similar to Kumar with one difference.

Instead of the shield with the number overlayed I need to have the shield on
the Interstate line in one position and the name of the interstate in
another position something like:

=====||========= Interstate 90 =======||======

Where the || is the shield symbol.  The annotation text is in a field called
"NAME" and the Feature name is in a field called "FEATURE".  I have the
following code in my map file (that works but not like I want it to - the
text overlays the symbol):

****************** start of code *********************
#---------------------------------------------
# Interstate layer
#
LAYER
     NAME "interstate1"
     GROUP "roads"
     DATA "roadtrl020"
     STATUS on
     TYPE line
     LABELCACHE on
     LABELITEM "NAME"
     CLASSITEM "FEATURE"
     #MINSCALE 7500001
     CLASS
          NAME "Interstate Hwy"
          EXPRESSION /Limited Access*/
          STYLE
               SYMBOL "BigLine"
               SIZE 1
               COLOR 241 151 91
          END
          LABEL
               TYPE truetype
               FONT "arial"
               SIZE 8
               OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
               COLOR 0 0 0
               MINDISTANCE 200
               POSITION auto
               ANGLE auto
               MINFEATURESIZE 50
          END
     END
END

#---------------------------------------------
# Shield layer
#
LAYER
    NAME "InterstateShield"
    Group "roads"
    STATUS on
    DATA "roadtrl020"
    TYPE ANNOTATION
    CLASSITEM "NAME"
    #LABELITEM 'NAME'
    CLASS
      EXPRESSION /Interstate*/
      COLOR 0 0 0
      SYMBOL 'shield.gif'
      SIZE 15
      LABEL

      END
    END
  END

I have been able to fake it by setting the label color to 255 255 255 (same
color as the background, the size to 0, and an offst of 100 100 to get the
label out of the way.  Is there a better way to do this?  Thanks for your
help.

Chip Taylor
Prepares Response, Inc