Tiling and Image

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Fri Aug 18 02:13:48 EDT 2006

Hi,

You cannot use tileindex shapefile as an image catalogue input for gdal_translate.  However, you can reach the same effect by creating a GDAL virtual dataset (GDAL/VRT) from your images and using that as input.  There was discussion about this some time ago under title "Palletizing Bulk Tiled Imagery", search the archive for details.

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-

________________________________

Lähettäjä: UMN MapServer Users List puolesta: Tyler Mitchell
Lähetetty: pe 18.8.2006 0:50
Vastaanottaja: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Aihe: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Tiling and Image

On 17-Aug-06, at 2:03 PM, Kevin Flanders wrote:

> Can gdal_translate be used in conjunction with a tileindex
> shapefile to
> create tiles?

Hi Kevin,
I don't think so.  But you could grab the image from MapServer
directly in, say, a TIFF format instead or via WMS if you can find a
way with gdal_translate.

> Can gdal_translate be used to cut out a portion of an image and
> translate it
> at the same time?

Yes, using the -srcwin or -projwin parameters.

Tyler