Java Mapscript with Japanese Encoding

Mario Basa mario.basa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 29 11:02:03 EDT 2006

Hello,

I have been testing the java mapscript of mapserver-4.10-beta1 and it
seems that layer.queryByAttributes  only works with UTF-8 character
encoded shape files and only if tomcat is started also in UTF-8
(ja_JP.UTF-8) LANG environment.

I tried using Shift_JIS encoded shape files (99% of all shape files
here in Japan are Shift_JIS encoded) and tomcat restarted in  UTF-8
and then Shift_JIS LANG environments, but I couldn't get it to work
anymore, as in layer.queryByAttributes can not match query items
anymore with the data.

Is there a work-around for this.

Thanks.

Mario.