MapScript - Show numbered coordinates as numbered dots on a map

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 4 09:35:33 EST 2006

Hi Martijn

I think you can do this without MapScript all through the standard (but
powerful!!) CGI

Basically I would think you have two ways of creating a layer for MapServer
to read -
On the fly (if your data is constantly chainging) - you can create a VRT
file (Virtual Datasource ) to read the CSV and then it will be similar to a
standard layer.   This may have speed implications although I've used these
when reading dynamically from an ODBC database and it is fast enough

OR

Create a shape file with the FWTools - ogr2ogr - this will mean that you
have a base shape file that is quick.  If your data changes say daily you
can always setup a batch file or script (presuming windows) and run
scheduled tasks to recreate - I use this at a number of sites.#

I would then think that you can create the required classes to have symbols
at different sizes depending on a field value and also simply apply a label
to the centre of the symbol.

Hope this helps...

Regards
Mike