TIFF rendering suffering in quality

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Dec 4 15:37:25 EST 2006

John B. Churchill wrote:
> Hi,
>     I'm new to the list and also very new to MAPSERVER.  Please bear
> with me.  I've started a map by replacing the ITASCA DEMO data with my
> own data.  I'm having some trouble getting a DOQQ tif (true color) image
> to display a reasonable image.   I've been reading about using the
> OUTPUTFORMAT tag to tweek the way the output image looks (e.g. 24-bit).
>  Can anyone help me figure out how I can best display this TIFF format
> image.
>
> See My Description of the problem and my CODE here:
> http://alx.al.umces.edu/~jchurch/GIS/tif_render.html

John,

Put the:

   IMAGETYPE JPEG

keyword in your MAP section.  The OUTPUTFORMAT declaration you provided
has no effect unless you select the format, but for web purposes you likely
don't want to be returning geotiffs, so just select JPEG or PNG24 - the two
common 24bit image formats for the web.

Best regards,