optimization

boice tomlin boice at RUNSKIP.COM
Tue Dec 5 12:38:55 EST 2006

Hello users,

The map located here;

http://gisinventory.net/status_maps.html

takes a while to load.  At least at the national view where there is
a lot of area to render.

I am looking for alternative ways to generate the map that will
significantly improve performance.

Currently I am using php and looping through data and turning on
layers as I go.  The PHP part is lightning fast.  But after I get the
map ready mapserver takes several seconds to generate it.

I'm curious about alternative ways to handle this problem and wonder
if anyone had comments on any of them.

1) modifying the shape files in some way so the layer information is
in those files.
2) using a db such as postgres with postgis.

Right now I have to generate a bunch of dynamic classes in PHP using
the general method below.

		$lyr = $this->ramona_map->getLayerByName("state_yes");
                 $cla = $lyr->getClass(0);
                 $cla->setExpression("/".$expression."/");
                 $lyr->set("status", MS_ON);

I have to do this several hundred times to represent all of the
data.  The time it takes to generate the map seem proportionate to
the amount of layers I make visible.  And again this is on the
mapserver side and not PHP.  PHP does its part of the operation in
thousandths of a second.

thanks,

-boice tomlin

////////////////////////////