a mapserver framework for flexibility

P Kishor punk.kish at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 8 16:31:37 EST 2006

Resending from the correct account and adding a few nonsensical lines
so the listserv daemon doesn't reject this... blah blah

alright then.

I would like to submit an alternative MapServer framework -- it is
called Google Maps. I have been putting together an application, the
very alpha version of which can be seen at
<http://ecoservices.eidesis.org>

The stuff on my webserver, aka the "backend", is Perl and SQLite using
the most excellent CGI::Application framework for creating websites,
the geodata other than Google's maps, aka the "sideend", is our
beloved MapServer, and the interface, aka the "frontend", is Google's
MAP API.

There is a rich set of tools and techniques published for public
consumption, and for the most part, Google does the hard work for me
creating all this so I don't have to re-invent the wheel. In the best
example of laziness, I just choose and put it all together.

The MapServer works with the least of embellishments and accoutremets.
It just serves data as WMS services using pure CGI.

Of course, one downside is that Google could go belly-up tomorrow and
its mapping services would be shut down. I can live with that risk.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation https://edu.osgeo.org/