Drawing streets like google local

Philip Mark Donaghy philip.donaghy at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 12 11:48:11 EST 2006

Thanks for the tip Gregor.

On 12/12/06, Gregor Mosheh <gregor at hostgis.com> wrote:
> > I would like to give users the familiarity of common internet maps.
> > Can anyone point me to a way to render lines similar to google or
> > yahoo maps?
>
> The basic trick is as follows: use 2 symbols with different colors, so you
> get a thick line with an outline effect. Example:
>
>     # plain old streets: medium grey outlines on a white fill.
>     STYLE
>       SYMBOL 'line_solid'
>       COLOR 180 180 180
>       SIZE 3
>     END
>     STYLE
>       SYMBOL 'line_solid'
>       COLOR 255 255 255
>       SIZE 1
>     END

To complete this post I am posting the symbol definition that works for me.

  SYMBOL
    NAME 'line_solid'
    TYPE ELLIPSE
    POINTS 1 1 END
    FILLED TRUE
  END

Does someone have this figured out for railroads?

Philip

--
Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy