Optimize data for speed

Brock Anderson banders at REFRACTIONS.NET
Wed Dec 13 14:27:06 EST 2006

Fabian,

Multinet data is divided by up state.  You'll want to use tile indexes
for a lot of your layers.  That's in addition to having spatial indexes
on the shapefiles.

There's a lot of processing that you *could* do on the data in the
interest of making your maps render faster or in achieving certain
cartographic effects.  The main principal you'll want to observe is this:

If a row in your shapefile is not being drawn (for a given map request),
then it shouldn't be in the shapefile.  It's inefficient to make
mapserver scan rows that it just ignores.

It's difficult to achieve that ideal for all map requests, but that's
what you should aim for with any processing you do.

Brock