Simplify data ? shp2pgsql -> PostGis Simplify() -> pgsql2shp

Fabian Rami fabian.rami at WOWCOMPANY.COM
Thu Dec 14 10:23:29 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have now some good dataset and mapserver is displaying it very well.

I ll try now to optimise the data (by simplification) for have a faster
result.

I have put  my shapefile in a postgis database. There is a function in
Postgis called Simplify( ).

When i try Simplify like that Simplify(the_geom, 100000) and i do
pgsql2shp i have a very small shapefile but road and pictures are not so
good :)

What value is recommended to have a good compromise between beauty and
speed ?

Is there an another way to simply data ?

Best regards,

Fabian