ArcSDE on Oracle authentication times

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 15 01:21:06 EST 2006

Hi All

I have an installation that is using ArcSDE (8.3) in Oracle running on a Sun
box with MapServer CGI running on Windows.  I've seen a lot of previous
discussions regarding the authentication time impact of Oracle / ArcSDE and
in our case this is about 1 - 1.5 seconds per transaction i.e. map redraw,
spatial query etc.

I'm wondering about options that would be available in the long term to try
to speed this up.
I'm not an Oracle guru but can the authentication be set as a priority
within there?
Is the only way to connection pool to ArcSDE for MapServer CGI via FastCGI
on Windows?

I'm obviously trying to maximize speed.

Thanks in advance

Mike