Performance analysis and optimization

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sun Dec 17 13:10:14 EST 2006

Rastadisasta wrote:
> And now my Questions:
> • Are there somewhere existing any publications or contributions about
> this theme?

Hansi,

I'm not aware of any specifically for mapserver.

> • What is your opinion about these things? Have you tips or suggestions?

I think this could be a very valuable activity.  You might also
consider:

  o FastCGI vs. normal CGI.
  o Parsing time for complex mapfiles vs. simple mapfiles.
  o Impact of label collision detection as number of labels increases.
  o Performance of different operating systems (is there any noticable
    performance difference between windows and linux on the same hardware)?
  o Impact of different image data organizations and formats (tiled vs
    scanline oriented, TIFF vs. JPEG, etc).

Of course how many issues you can investigate will depend on your time
available.  Beyond providing guidance for users, hopefully your  thesis
can also suggest some areas for focus by the MapServer development team.

Best regards,