OGR

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue Dec 19 20:44:36 EST 2006

Andreas T wrote:
> Another, more general, question has to do with the mapscript's relation
> to OGR. I am totally confused on this part. Does mapscript enhances ogr?
> If yes, then does mapscript support all the source files that ogr supports?

Andreas,

MapScript is the scripting interface to the MapServer engine.

The php_ogr extension is the scripting interface to OGR (a vector feature
access api).

The MapServer engine includes a set of feature access functions that can go
through OGR, Shapelib, direct to PostGIS, etc.   But the mapserver feature
access mechanism is somewhat limited (no writing for instance).  So for many
purposes you can just write feature access scripts using the mapscript
abstraction.  But in some cases, notably the requirement to *write* features
you need to use something else, such as php_ogr.

In that sense php_ogr is a means to "go deeper" into feature stuff than
mapscript offers.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,