OGC WCS and TIME

Ara T Howard ara.t.howard at NOAA.GOV
Wed Dec 20 12:57:16 EST 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Norman Barker wrote:

> Yes, wcs_timeposition does create very large files :-), it is however easy
> for clients :-)

i suppose so.  not if that info was used to create a gui element though! ;-)

i guess i'll have to run with it for now and hope for the best...

> The WMS supports timeextent  "wms_timeextent" "2003-08-01/2006-12-31/P5M",
> so I guess it wouldn't be too hard to put this into MapServer WCS

yup.  i was just reading about that...

> The code for looking up the time parameters from mapwcs.c
>
> if(msOWSLookupMetadata(&(layer->metadata), "COM", "timeposition") ||
> msOWSLookupMetadata(&(layer->metadata), "COM", "timeperiod")) {
>    msIO_printf("      <temporalDomain>\n");
>
>    /* TimePosition (should support a value AUTO, then we could mine
> positions from the timeitem) */
>    msOWSPrintEncodeMetadataList(stdout, &(layer->metadata), "COM",
> "timeposition", NULL, NULL, "
> <gml:timePosition>%s</gml:timePosition>\n", NULL);
>
>    /* TODO:  add TimePeriod (only one per layer)  */
>
>    msIO_printf("      </temporalDomain>\n");
>  }
>
> And mapwms.c gives the code for looking up the time extent
>
> It would be a good improvement to add this to the server.  I think the
> comment about AUTO would probably me most useful :-)

i haven't even read the mapserver code, but i'd be willing to attempt a patch
- what's the community protocol for that sort of thing?

> I was in Boulder for the Summer, and will be back in Jan, I am actually
> based in the UK.

cool.  ping me when you're in town if a beer in boulder sounds good... we just
had lunch with some friends from the colorado office yesterday...

> Head Office is in Boulder, we do IDL + ENVI which I think you use at NOAA.

indeed.  the mosaics in question are created with

   - c for geolocation
   - idl and ruby for image processing
   - ruby driving job scheduling and cluster management (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7922)

cheers.

-a
--
if you find yourself slandering anybody, first imagine that your mouth is
filled with excrement.  it will break you of the habit quickly enough. - the