Serve TIFF through WMS

Travis Kirstine tkirstine at JDBARNES.COM
Thu Dec 21 08:27:48 EST 2006

I'm not sure if this will help but you are missing the metadata (wms title)
for your layer.
According to the docs it is required.  Also I would try using
GetCapabilities Request to see what is returned
Try adding the following to your layer object

 METADATA
    "wms_title"    "Areal"   ##required
  END

Get Capabilites Request

http://***********/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/chameleon/samples/map/
wmsserver_tiff.map&Service=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

  -----Original Message-----
  From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Steven De Vriendt
  Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 6:43 AM
  To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
  Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Serve TIFF through WMS

  Hi,

  Thanks to Scott, who helped me quite a bit through this, I now have a
mapfile that
  should be suitable for publishing tiff images through WMS. (Thanks again
Scott !)
  Can someone have a look at this mapfile, I can't seem to figure out what
causes mapserver
  not showing the images when requested through WMS.
  Can someone help me figure out what parameters are missing/incomplete....

  MAP
    NAME CAMPUS
    STATUS ON
    SIZE 500 500
    SYMBOLSET ../etc/symbols.sym
    EXTENT 77336.359625 189988.500250 90937.297125 201812.968625
    UNITS METERS
    IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
    FONTSET ../etc/fonts.txt
    TRANSPARENT FALSE

  IMAGETYPE png256

    WEB
      IMAGEPATH "/ms4w/apps/chameleon/samples/data/topo"
      IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
      METADATA
        "wms_abstract" "Demo for Geotiff"
        "wms_title" "WMS Demo Server"
        "wms_onlineresource"
"http://***********/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/apps/chameleon/samples/map
/wmsserver_tiff.map&"
      "wms_srs" "EPSG:31300"

      END
    END

  OUTPUTFORMAT
      NAME GEOTIFF
      DRIVER "GDAL/GTiff"
      MIMETYPE "image/tiff"
      IMAGEMODE "PC256"
      EXTENSION "tif"
  END

    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:31300"
    END

  #  LAYER
  #    NAME "aerial1"
  #    DATA "C:/your tiff file.tif"
  #    TYPE RASTER
  #    STATUS ON
  #  END

  # I believe aerial1 would work if you just have one tiff and point it to
that

    LAYER
      NAME "fullimagetiffwoverview"
      TILEINDEX "/ms4w/apps/chameleon/samples/data/topo/shpindex.shp"
      TILEITEM "location"
      TYPE RASTER
      #PROCESSING "DITHER=YES"
      #PROCESSING "BANDS=3,2,1"
      STATUS ON

    END

  # fullimagetiffwoverview would work if you point it to your tileindex
shapefile which you would create with gdal

  # this is if you have a mosaic of images

  END