How to Improve WMS Image Quality?

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Tue Dec 26 10:35:27 EST 2006

Bill,

I am guessing that you either have not designated an imagetype in your
map file, or you are using 8 bit png or gif.

For maps with air photos, you will likely want to use jpeg or png24.
PNG24 looks very nice, but the output images can be pretty large and
therefore slower to serve up.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Bill Thoen
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 9:32 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] How to Improve WMS Image Quality?

After getting my last message swamped by an out-of-control
autoresponder, I thought I'd better try again. So here's my question
again:

I've linked DOQ images from the Microsoft TerraServer's WMS, but they
look terrible in my MapServer map. It looks like they are being rendered
in 8-bit grayscale. When I display these same images with a GetMap URL
in my browser they look fine. Could someone tell me what I need to do to
get these to look better in MapServer?