How to Construct Railroad Style lines?

Bill Thoen bthoen at GISNET.COM
Fri Dec 29 15:56:36 EST 2006

I see what I did wrong... you need to include an OVERLAYCOLOR parameter
in the CLASS object to get this to show the 'tie' symbol (the example on
the wiki at  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SymbolExamples
leaves this out too, and so it doesn't work either).  I tied to fix that
but I couldn't get edit access to the wiki  (and BTW, the word
"illusive" on that page should probably be "elusive" if anyone's feeling
pedantic and is able to make some edits there).

What it does is drop a dashed line over the solid line with the dashed
line set to be 3 times thicker than the solid line. Since the dash
pattern is 1 pixel followed by 3 empty ones this has the effect of
creating a line like a string of square beads (e.g. ---o---o---o---o).
It looks okay, but it's not the classic cartographic symbol for railroads.

Has anyone come up with something better?