smoothness of feature borders

Jeff de La Beaujardiere jeff2005 at SVS.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Thu Feb 2 08:45:12 EST 2006

Eijnden, B. van den (Bart) wrote:
> just reporting back something which had never struck my eye, but which I
> noticed when comparing Mapserver's WMS output to Ionic's WMS output, is that
> the output from Ionic is a lot smoother with respect to feature borders. Is
> this due to GD?

The Ionic image is anti-aliased, the Mapserv one is not.
Notice that the file size of the Ionic image is ~3* greater.

Mapserv does not appear to support anti-aliasing, except for
text and symbols.
(http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0411&L=mapserver-users&D=0&I=-3&X=638C7737989424DD73&P=75934)
However, GD supposedly does have anti-aliasing
(http://www.boutell.com/gd/manual2.0.33.html).

-Jeff DLB