Can you help me with this map file?

Jeremy Stocks stocksll33 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Thu Feb 2 13:03:19 EST 2006

Hi there to the list.

I have succeeded in downloading SRTM and Landsat from the GLCF, VMAP
Level 0 from the web and processing them in GRASS. I have done the same
with Geonet names from NIMA with the help of a pythin script an internet
buddy wrote for me.

I am now trying to incorporate the label names into my Mapserver
application. Can anyone help? I have a problem with the below MAP file.
When I run Mapserver on my PC (standard Windows download version) I
receive this message:

loadLayer(): Unknown identifier. Parsing error near (LAYER):(line 88)

Is the MAP script wrong here? I am a newbie to MAPserver.

For whatever help anyone gives I will be very grateful.

Regards,

Jeremy Stocks.

Here is the script. The problem area is the bold italic section.......

# The annotated map file (sort of)
# Created by Pericles S. Nacionales for the MapServer tutorial
# 20050408
#
# MapServer map file uses the pound sign (#) to denote the start of a line
# comment--each line that needs to be commented has to be prepended with
a "#".
#
# Map files begin with MAP keyword to signify the start of the map object.
# Well, the entire map file is THE map object.  Enclosed between MAP and END
# at the very bottom of this map file, are keyword/value pairs and other
# objects.
MAP
  IMAGETYPE      PNG
  EXTENT          658768.76306283  5255756.95394429 742048.26144778
5330768.35385309
  SIZE           700 500
  SHAPEPATH      "\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\bayern"
  IMAGECOLOR     255 255 255
    FONTSET                 "\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\bayern\fonts.list"

    WEB

        TEMPLATE "c:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\bayern\bayern.html"
        IMAGEPATH "/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"

        IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
END

  # Layer objects are defined beneath the map object.  You need at least one
  # layer defined in your map file before you can display a map...  You can
  # define as many layers as you'd like although a limit is typically
hard-coded
  # in map.h in the MapServer source.  The default limit is set at 100.
You'd
  # have to have a very specialized application to need more than 100
layers in
  # your application.

  # Start of LAYER DEFINITIONS ---------------------------------------------

LAYER # Brovey raster layer begins here
  NAME         "brov_rgb_composite"
  DATA         "brov_rgb_composite.tif"
  STATUS       OFF
  TYPE         RASTER
END # Brovey raster layer ends here

LAYER # SRTM raster layer begins here
  NAME         "srtm_u03_p193r027_2ndattemptimport"
  DATA         "srtm_u03_p193r027_2ndattemptimport.tif"
  STATUS       OFF
  TYPE         RASTER
END # SRTM raster layer ends here

HERE begin the problems.......! from HERE.....

LAYER # Geonet names
    NAME                    popl_anno
    STATUS                 DEFAULT
    DATA                     "GNS_subset.shp"
    TYPE                     POINT

    CLASSITEM "fc"
    LABELITEM "fnamend"

  CLASS
    NAME       "Populated places"

    STYLE
      COLOR        232 20 20
    END

    LABEL
      COLOR 132 31 31
      SHADOWCOLOR 218 218 218
      SHADOWSIZE 2 2
      TYPE TRUETYPE
      FONT arial
      SIZE 12
      ANTIALIAS TRUE
      POSITION CL
      PARTIALS FALSE
      MINDISTANCE 300
      BUFFER 4
    END # end of label

END # Label layer ends here

......................................TO HERE!

LAYER     # Lakes
  NAME         bavaria_lakes
  DATA         hydro_inwatera_lakes
  STATUS       ON
  TYPE         POLYGON

  # The class object is defined within the layer object.  You can define as
  # many classes as you need (well, there are limits as with layers, but
it's
  # senseless to define more than ten on a "normal" layer.  There are
  # situations, however, where you might have to do it.)
  CLASS
    NAME       "Bavaria Lakes"

    # There are styles in a class, just like there are classes in a layer,
    # just like there are layers in a map.  You can define multiple
styles in
    # a class just as you can define multiple classes in a layer and
multiple
    # layers in a map.
    STYLE
      COLOR        20 20 232
      OUTLINECOLOR 32 32 32
    END
  END
END # Bavaria lakes polygon layer ends here

LAYER
  NAME         bavaria_rivers
  DATA         hydro_watrcrsl_river
  STATUS       ON
  TYPE         LINE

  CLASS
    NAME       "Bavaria Rivers"
    STYLE
      COLOR    20 20 232
    END
  END
END # States line layer ends here

# End of LAYER DEFINITIONS -------------------------------

END # All map files must come to an end just as all other things must
come to...