OGR+ODBC with Debian Sarge Mapserver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Feb 6 20:17:37 EST 2006

On 2/3/06, Raw, Jeremy <Jeremy.Raw at durhamnc.gov> wrote:
> I've been happily running the Debian sarge standard package of Mapserver
> (version 4.4.1) for a number of months.  The data sources for this project
> have (until now) all been in shapefiles and inline features (passed in via
> CGI).  I'm now trying to enlarge the application to display point data from
> a MySQL database table containing X/Y data.  Following the terse but
> workable how-to on the Mapserver website, I've got ODBC up and running and
> verified it all the way through using ogrinfo (from the standard sarge gdal
> package) to access the data.  Unfortunately, my mapserver (and also shp2img)
> perform a segmentation fault every time they try to access the ODBC layer,
> with no indication of what's wrong.

Jeremy,

There is no obvious reason I can see why your
ODBC connection and OVF file would work with
ogrinfo but not with mapserver/shp2img.

I have, in some configurations, found ODBC on Unix/Linux
to be buggy and the problems might only happen to cause
a crash with mapserver and not with ogrinfo.  But that
doesn't tell us much.

You might want to try and run ogrinfo under "valgrind"
to see if it identifies any problems, and then compare
with a run of shp2img under valgrind.

But to track the problem down you may well have to
compile everything in debug.

Best regards,