Visualizing Point Data

Bob Basques bob.b at GRITECHNOLOGIES.COM
Tue Feb 7 01:44:51 EST 2006

Bill,

The census site I sent you is actually doing this type of overlay right
now.  It's all MapServer/Mapscript based. Let me know if you have any
questions.

The overlays are drawn on the fly from the Census BlockGroup data.
It's got quite a bit of indexing behind the scenes that makes it run
fairly quickly.   It seems to run out of steam at around 50k points when
the time seems to take a jump up to 10-15 seconds to process ( the limit
we were shooting for).  Unfortunately, the code is very Census specific
at the moment.   We're planning on chopping the code out into a tool
set, just haven't had time yet.

One other item, the overlays are being drawn right now in a fairly
course grid, the overlay drawing aspects are configurable and the
resolution can be increased at the cost of time for processing.

bobb