delete feature

blaise bpicinbono at WORLDONLINE.FR
Tue Feb 14 14:57:55 EST 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 16:18, Xiaonan Zhang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> anyone know how to delete a selected feature from a layer?
>
> regards
>
> Jonathan

Hi there,
If you are dealing with esri shape layers (shp+shx+dbf), I think there isn't
any easy way to delete a shape, as Steve noted a few weeks ago. I don't know
for other kind of data format.
For esri shape files, the trick is to copy all your shapes except the one to
be deleted, to a new temporary shape file, and same for the datas (dbf). And
then to rename your temporaries shp and dbf files to the name of your
original files.
If you're dealing with a very large number of shapes, you can speed up the
process by deleting the right record in the dbf file. This is possible, on
the opposite as for the shp file. But read carefully the dbase doc, I think
you have to use the "pack" or something command after deleting a dbf record
to really update your dbf file.
All this done with php_mapscript or maybe another scripting language, of
course.
Post more if you don't get it.
Blaise