4.8.1 build

Dylan Keon dbkeon.ml at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 15 15:04:05 EST 2006

On 02/15/2006 10:26 AM, Gail Long wrote:
> Hey folks I'm trying to rebuild all of the mapserver dependencies and
> I'm getting .h not found errors.  The header files all seem to be in
> place within the source dirs of the deps (png jpeg zlib iconv gd, etc)
>
> I didn't do make install with any of these because I don't want to
> change my base system environment. What do I need to change to get
> mapserver to look for the includes?  Some option to configure I'm missing?
>
> I want to set up a multi-version build environment so that I can have
> the current version libs, betas, and a sandbox type of lib set.
>
> I'm building 4.8.1 on RHE
>
> I appreciate any assistance.

I would use a separate area (like /opt) where you can fully install the
packages without affecting the base system.  When compiling each package
use the --prefix option to indicate the "make install" target (e.g.,
--prefix=/opt ).  When compiling subsequent packages you will need to
define options such as --with-png=/opt --with-gd=/opt, etc. to point to
the installed files you want to build against.

Or you could probably just point mapserver to the compiled source for
each package (e.g., --with-png=/home/gail/ms/source/libpng-1.2.8).  I
prefer the first approach.

Dylan