Virtual Globe (HOWTO use external WMS)

Sebastian Albrecht albrecht at FIELAX.DE
Thu Feb 16 04:34:21 EST 2006

Hello again,

relating to the discussion about Virtual Globe yesterday I wrote Rune
Aasgaard how to configure external WMS servers into Virtual Globe.

Below is what he replied.

Best regards

Sebastian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Virtual Globe and personal WMS servers
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:03:52 +0100
From: Rune Aasgaard <rune.aasgaard at sintef.no>
To: Sebastian Albrecht <albrecht at fielax.de>

If we start with the common "Start Globe" URL...

http://globe.sintef.no/VirtualGlobeStarter.cgi?name=Europe&dataset=http://globe.sintef.no/globe.vgml&viewpoint=4.787607927703958,27.52509436526137,3178271.6469249073,0.39637688320507086,-60.09160309417106

... you'll find a referencee to a "dataset" (the globe.vgml file).
Download that file and save it to your disk. Or, alternatively, download
the commented version:

http://globe.sintef.no/globe-commented.vgml

Open it in your favorite text editor and try to add a WMS following the
pattern of the ones in the configuration file (you'll get some hints in
the commented version). The WMS server must be visible from the Globe
server, as all WMS images are forst downloaded to the globe server,
transformed, converted and cached there (so that when somebody has visited
a WMS map it is readily accessible for others also), and then sent to the
client.

The .vgml file only needs to be visible from your globe client.

Try this and report success/failure to me!