Mapserver wms ArcGIS

Hester Jane Viola H.Viola at BOM.GOV.AU
Thu Feb 16 17:35:30 EST 2006

Hi Travis,

1. I have found the same thing with min/max zoom scales when read into ArcGIS, ESRIs WMS client is full of bugs! Perhaps you could log an enhancement request with them  (http://support.esri.com/) for future releases. (I have logged several and had no response, but the more people who request changes I guess, the more pressure they will feel to improve their product)
2. ArcGIS switches on the first 20 layers in your service by default and ignores any layers that MapServer considers default.
Hope that helps

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Travis Kirstine GIS Tech
Sent: Friday, 17 February 2006 4:45 AM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Mapserver wms ArcGIS

I have been trying to set up a wms and testing it in ArcGIS, in general
everything works fine but I have some inconsistencies in that I can't figure
out.  First, the min and max scales defined in the mapfile layer object is
not consistent with the min and max scale values in ArcGIS
My mapfile:
#local 2 test
LAYER
   DATA umap_display_data/orn_local_label
   NAME "local_label"
   METADATA
      "WMS_TITLE" "ORN Test Local Labels"
      "WMS_ABSTRACT" "ORN Local Labels"
      "WMS_EXTENT" "523500 4716500 810000 5002600"
      "WMS_SRS" "epsg:26917"
   END
   GROUP "Road Labels"
   TYPE ANNOTATION
   STATUS OFF
   MAXSCALE 100000
   MINSCALE 500
   LABELMAXSCALE 100000
   LABELMINSCALE 500
   LABELITEM "A_ST_NAME"
   CLASS
      LABEL
	   COLOR 145 15 25
	   OUTLINECOLOR  253 253 253
	   TYPE truetype
	   FONT arial
	   SIZE 8
	   ANGLE Auto
	   POSITION cc
	   MINDISTANCE 500
	   BUFFER 5
	END
   END
END

When this is displayed in ArcGIS the minscale values turn to 667 and max
values turn to 133,333.
I thought this could be a projection issue but all my data is in a zone 17n
utm nad 83 projection.

The other issue I am having is layer status.  I believe the status is
defined client side and by default on.  When I add the wms to ArcGIS some
layers have their status on some have status off with no correlation to what
is defined in the mapfile.
I've attached a copy of my .map, any help would be much appreciated

Travis Kirstine