ksumap: free mapserver powered GIS data hosting

Dave Fuhry dfuhry at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 16 21:41:30 EST 2006

Lots of sites will host your email, blog, or photo galleries for free,
but I don't know of any that  do the same for your GIS data.  So I
created one.  It targets users who may lack the hardware, expertise,
or time to set up their own Mapserver environment.

To try it out, create a zip file containing your project's shapefiles
and/or geotiff images.  Upload the zip file to the ksumap site.  Up
comes the familiar zoomable, pannable, queryable map interface.  From
there you can use the control panel page to customize symbology,
update or add data, and view the mapfile.  The data is accessible via
WMF/WFS too.  Basically, this is free GIS hosting.  The Geography
Department of Kent State University generously hosts this for me at:

http://ksumap.geog.kent.edu/

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to make this a really handy GIS
tool.  In particular I would love to get the advice and/or
constructive criticism of anyone with experience hosting
mapserver-based services in business or academia.

Thanks,

Dave Fuhry