Postgis: JOINS possible?

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at GRID.UNEP.CH
Fri Feb 17 06:45:09 EST 2006

Hi there,

I am only starting to understand the functionality of Postgis.
Although I got the first real-world examples running, I have
difficulties imaging something: As I am dealing with hundreds of (for
the moment still) shapefiles where only the dbf is different
(statistical data on national level), I wonder how to use postgis to
accomplish the same thing but only with one geometric table.

What I wonna say is this: I guess I have to load only once the
shapefile, so that I can use my national statistics postgres tables
to link to this geometric table via a join, something like:

                                     DATA 'geometric_table .the_geom,
pop_total.y_2001 from geometric_table, pop_total WHERE
geometric_table.id = pop_total.id'

But this then suddenly results in multiple WHERE clauses:

Warning: [MapServer Error]: prepare_database(): Error executing
POSTGIS DECLARE (the actual query) statement: 'DECLARE mycursor
BINARY CURSOR FOR SELECT y_2001::text,asbinary(force_collection
(force_2d(geometric_table.the_geom,
pop_total.y_2001)),'XDR'),OID::text from geometric_table, pop_total
WHERE geometric_table.geo_id = pop_total.id WHERE
geometric_table.the_geom, pop_total.y_2001 && setSRID('BOX3D(-180
-90,180 90)'::BOX3D, find_srid('','geometric_table, pop_total WHERE
geometric_table.geo_id = pop_total.id','geometric_table.the_geom,
pop_total.y_2001') )'

Can anyone let me know how this works?

Thanks a lot!