Raster Layer Doubt

Apeksha Bhambhani beproject06 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 19 12:30:07 EST 2006

Hi all ,
We have developed a web-mapping application . Our mapping application uses Mapserver , Php/Mapscript as the scripitng language and MySql as the database.And this application accepts user clicks and allows the user to edit the map : adding points, etc.
Now for this map , we require a base map - which is a raster layer .
We have tried editing the mapfile as follows:

LAYER
NAME "base"
TYPE raster
DATA "india.tif"
END

But this is of no help. The tiff file resides in the shapefiles directory .
We want to include this raster image as our base map. Is this the right way or is there any other way?

Could someone please help us.
Thanks
Apeksha