Georeferencing question

Gambin Dejan Dejan.Gambin at PULA.HR
Wed Jan 4 05:38:43 EST 2006

Hello,

I know it probably belong to gdal list but I'll give it a try here..

I am trying to georeference my scanned paper maps. I have tried using
QGIS Georeferencer plugin, it works ok for linear transformation but the
resulting georeferenced raster map does not fit vrey well, probably
because of deformations etc. I have tried using Helmert transformation
but unfortunatelly QGIS crashes (running on Windows).

So I tried using gdal_translate and gdalwarp. I took the corner
coordinates (only UpperLeft and BottomRight for testing) and run
"gdal_translate -gcp 0 0 5409006.4226 4970689.5864 -gcp 7590 5931
5409806.0064 4970064.7150 025-k.jpg 025-k-translated.jpg -of JPEG". But
setting output format to JPEG results in unchanged output image.

I suppose it is normal and gdal_translate cannot create gc points in
this way? Do I have to use default TIFF output format?

What to do next with gdalwarp? What type of transform and resampling to
use?

I would really appreciate some suggestions on this

thanks very much

dejan