street level shape files for united state

Joseph Bussell joe at OTSYS.COM
Mon Jan 9 19:34:15 EST 2006

The tiger line files lack geo-correctness as well as network
connectivity.  All roads are flattened in the tiger data (no overpass or
underpass data).  Its hard to run a routing application using that data
as you end up taking right turns off highways into the subburbs.
Ultimately, you get what you pay for.  The documentation is decieving
though, as it suggests that an elevation code is in the data.  Trouble
is that the column in unpopulated.  According to the folks who are
supporting tiger, the data field is present, but its up to the local
authorities to populate the values.  As near as I can tell no one has
any funding to do that work.

my $0.02

Joe Bussell
On Time Systems