About PNG output. Uncompressed PNG.

Bob Basques bob.basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Tue Jan 10 17:06:26 EST 2006

Ed McNierney wrote:

>Bob -
>
>What is it you're trying to accomplish?  All PNG images are compressed,
>in that they all use deflate compression on the data stream.  The data
>stream is filtered first to optimize it for compression; while you can
>control the choice of filter, I do not believe there is any control over
>the compression.
>
>The compression is completely lossless, so there is absolutely no
>degradation of the image (as opposed to JPEG, for example).  Saying you
>want "PNG with 0 compression" is sort of like saying "I would like
>EXACTLY the same image in this file, just puff up the file to make it
>bigger".
>
>If you are simply trying to get the best quality PNG image, you've
>already got it.  If you're looking for something else, let us know.
>Thanks!

Ed,

I'm experimenting with dissecting the PNG image with Javascript.  The
idea is to try and pull the Image Pixel data (color values) into a
Javascript Array in the Client, a Browser in this case.

I'm still doing some of the research on it at the moment.  I'm just
checking on the notion of setting the Compression level on the server is
all.

bobb