"Geospatial Foundation" Meeting

Paul Ramsey pramsey at REFRACTIONS.NET
Sat Jan 14 12:24:44 EST 2006

Puneet,

Starting from the bottom, the meeting will be at a neutral location,
the Westin O'Hare, about 2km from O'Hare airport.  To give you a
flavor of the event participants will be engaging in, my own
itinerary involves leaving my family at noon on Friday, arriving at
8pm in Chicago, transferring to the hotel, sleeping, spending the day
meeting, and getting on a plane first thing Sunday morning arriving
home at 2pm.  It is a good thing I like planes.

Regarding "conflict of interest", whose?  As influence peddling goes,
muffins and a day in a conference room at an airport Westin is pretty
paltry fare.  Autodesk wants to get their open source offering out,
and they need a foundation to put it in.  They will make one
regardless, to put it in.  To their credit, they are bending over
backwards to ensure that the foundation they establish is as
welcoming to as many other open source projects as possible.  They
are ensuring the foundation is welcoming by soliciting the input of
as many other projects as possible.

At the end of the day, this will not be Autodesk's foundation, it
will be the larger community's, and you will be able to tell by
looking at the makeup of the BoD (I have no advance knowledge here, I
am merely guessing).  Corporations are not generous for fun, they are
generous in the pursuit of their interests and, in this case, it is
in Autodesk's interest to ensure the foundation their project is
managed within is vital, self-sustaining, and legitimate to the
larger open source community.  That is the backdrop of their
generosity in paying travel costs for some of the participants, and
for the room in Chicago.

Finally, since much of this mistrust of intentions seems to flow
solely from the "Mapserver Enterprise" (MSE) naming issue, it is
worth reminding everyone that MSE was considered acceptable by
everyone who signed the open letter, a group that was largely
composed of people from the Mapserver community itself.  They were
*wrong*, but their mistake was an honest one made with the best
intentions, and no one from that group has since stood up and said
"Autodesk made us do it": in fact they have stood up and said the
opposite, that the suggestion came from their side of the table
originally.  So while the MSE naming debacle was a mistake, it can
not be used as some token of Autodesk's malign intent in assisting in
setting up this foundation.  The lesson of the MSE episode is that
many eyes make mistakes like MSE impossible, hence the emphasis on
openness for this meeting.

Autodesk wants a strong, independent foundation with a broad
membership to put their product.  We also want a strong independent
foundation with a broad membership.  We all have the same destination
in mind, and are motives for getting there are the same too.  Let's go.

Paul