OT: Create Districts

Rob McCulley RMcCulley at COUNTY24.COM
Mon Jan 16 17:19:51 EST 2006

Hi All,

This is completely off topic, but I figure if I can an answer to this question anywhere, it is here!

I have a series of ~16,000 parcels with a certain attribute (Gas metres on the parcel with a total of ~3,000 metres) which ranges from 0 to 5 per parcel.  I'm looking to divide the parcels up into 30 districts with around 100 metres per district.  Is there any way to automate this?

I've looked at the ESRI Districting add on, but it requires my to manually select the districts.  I looked at v.apply.census in grass, but I can't seem to get it to work with shapefile data instead of STF1 data (I'm not familiar with STF1 at all).

What I'm looking for is a way to run something on the parcel shapefile that automatically groups the data in spatial groups of around 100 total metres.  Anyone know of anything that will do that for me?

Rob McCulley
GIS Coordinator
County of Vermilion River No. 24
(780) 846-2244