Blank and ecw files.

O. El Gawhary ing.elgawhary at TISCALI.IT
Tue Jan 17 08:05:26 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

I have some problems with ecw raster images.
I work on Linux Fedora Core 4, Apache 2, PHP 5.1.1 (Fast/Cgi),
Mapserver-4.6.2  (PHP/Mapscript).
I installed all the required software and some of Highly Recommended
Software (i.e. Proj-4.4.9 and Gdal-1.3.1).

To make works gdal with .ecw files I compiled first libecw as follows:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

and then I compiled gdal with:

$ ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local  --with-ecw=/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

The result of this step is visible with the gdal_translate command:

The following format drivers are configured and support output:
  VRT: Virtual Raster
  GTiff: GeoTIFF
  NITF: National Imagery Transmission Format
  HFA: Erdas Imagine Images (.img)
  ELAS: ELAS
  AAIGrid: Arc/Info ASCII Grid
  DTED: DTED Elevation Raster
  PNG: Portable Network Graphics
  JPEG: JPEG JFIF
  MEM: In Memory Raster
  GIF: Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)
  XPM: X11 PixMap Format
  BMP: MS Windows Device Independent Bitmap
  PCIDSK: PCIDSK Database File
  PCRaster: PCRaster Raster File
  ILWIS: ILWIS Raster Map
  PNM: Portable Pixmap Format (netpbm)
  ENVI: ENVI .hdr Labelled
  EHdr: ESRI .hdr Labelled
  PAux: PCI .aux Labelled
  MFF: Atlantis MFF Raster
  MFF2: Atlantis MFF2 (HKV) Raster
  BT: VTP .bt (Binary Terrain) 1.3 Format
  IDA: Image Data and Analysis
  ECW: ERMapper Compressed Wavelets
  JP2ECW: ERMapper JPEG2000
  FIT: FIT Image
  RMF: Raster Matrix Format
  USGSDEM: USGS Optional ASCII DEM (and CDE)

A this point I compiled Mapserver. The output of ./mapserv -v is:

MapServer version 4.6.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Now, if I try to load an .ecw file I obtain a blank, but any error!!

gdal work fine as I created an ecw. file from a .tif one.

Does someone have suggestions?
Thank in advance.
Omar