Kernel Density Mapping?

Brent Wood pcreso at PCRESO.COM
Thu Jan 19 02:33:50 EST 2006

--- Bill Binko <bill at BINKO.NET> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> [I've been sidelined recently battling some painful bugs in GDAL,
> Mapserver, and several raster libs, so I've been putting off some more
> general questions I'd love to pose to the list.  This is my first, but
> I'll probably send several tonight (sorry to flood).]
>
> I'm interested in creating "kernel method" density maps using vector
> point data.

Look at R for this sort of thing, I know several fisheries modellers using R
for kernel density analyses. R/PostGIS/GRASS/QGIS/mapserver (with Proj.4, GDAL,
GEOS, etc...) all work pretty well together to support such work as an Open
Source suite.

See:
http://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/density.html

For a more general list of R functions,
http://www.oulu.fi/atkk/tkpalv/unix/R/library/stats/html/00Index.html

and for general R spatial packages/info,
http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps....

  Brent Wood