New User - What to start with: Unix or Windows

Matt Brown mbrown at AL1CALL.COM
Mon Jan 23 10:03:56 EST 2006

Linux ArcGIS? I thought they only had linux support for server products.
I have been running mapserver and arcgis under windows for a couple of years
no problem.  If you are using shapefiles try ms4w, makes life easy
  -----Original Message-----
  From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On
Behalf Of Maggie Ma
  Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2006 3:00 PM
  To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
  Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] New User - What to start with: Unix or
Windows

  Dear all,

  I am a new user of MapServer. I have been using ArcGIS desktop for a few
years. Now I want to do some online mapping. I just start to look into
MapServer. And I need your input on whether I should start with Unix or
Windows MapServer.

  The concern is to do it right/the best from the very beginning. I am not
afraid of learning Linux/Unix. I know some basics. But since I have always
been working with ArcGIS under Windows, I want to make sure that it worths
it to switch. If it wont make much difference then I will just stay with
Windows.

  So shall I go : Windows MapServer + Windows ArcGIS or Linux MapServer +
Linux ArcGIS or even Linux MapServer + Windows ArcGIS?

  What's the best way to start?

  Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions and thoughts!

  Maggie

  Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on
new and used cars.