Horrible Looking WMS Raster Imagery

Eijnden, B. van den (Bart) b.vdeijnden at AGI.RWS.MINVENW.NL
Tue Jan 24 02:07:31 EST 2006

Jennifer,

try to use PNG24 for the parameter named image_type in chameleon.xml.

Best regards,
Bart

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU]Namens
Jennifer Zeisloft
Verzonden: dinsdag 24 januari 2006 6:04
Aan: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Onderwerp: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Horrible Looking WMS Raster Imagery

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the response, Frank.  It is sounding more and more like this is a
question I ought to forward to the chameleon list - because I am also not
sure how to generate 24bit output with chameleon!

I appreciate the much needed direction!

Thanks all!

Jennifer

On 1/23/06, Frank Warmerdam < warmerdam at pobox.com

On 1/23/06, Brent Pedersen < bpederse at nature.berkeley.edu
<mailto:bpederse at nature.berkeley.edu> > wrote:
> have you tried using image/jpeg?

In addition to fetching data from the remote WMSes as
JPEG, it is also necessary for mapserver to generate 24bit
output (JPEG or PNG24 for instance).  I don't know how to
do that with Chameleon myself, but I'm sure there is a setting
somewhere.

I think Ed is right that the problem is 24bit to 8bit color
conversion with correspondingly poor color resolution.
Given sufficient blotchiness from this conversion it can
even appear that spatial resolution is degraded (though it
isn't actually).

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
warmerdam at pobox.com <mailto:warmerdam at pobox.com>

Disclaimer
Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend. Dit bericht is
uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Als u dit bericht per abuis
hebt ontvangen, wordt u verzocht het te vernietigen en de afzender te
informeren. Wij adviseren u om bij twijfel over de juistheid of de
volledigheid van de mail contact met afzender op te nemen.

This message shall not constitute any rights or obligations.
This message is intended solely for the addressee.
If you have received this message in error, please delete it and
notify the sender immediately. When in doubt whether this message
is correct or complete, please contact the sender.