MS + PostGIS no rows detection?

Charlton Purvis cplist at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jan 25 13:03:42 EST 2006

Hey, Jesse:

Fun question.

What if you left your original layer alone -- let it do its magic.

And added another layer that was always on whose query string looked similar
your original layer.  Except w/ a twist.

Say we have this table:

table = test;
columns = val, the_geom;
it has 2 rows:  where val = 1 and val = 2 & the_geoms = something

Your original layer has a query string like (where the val = 1 is the
dynamic part):

* select the_geom from test where val = 1;

* And that would give you a lovely picture.

The additional "No data found" query would look like this:

* select 'geom_here' where (select count(*) from test where val = 1) < 1;

* That would give you NOTHING.  Perfect -- because you actually got data.

Well, if you substitute val = 3 on each of those queries, you'd get the
inverse.  The orig query gives you zilch while the 2nd gives you
'geom_here'.

I think that is what you want.  Certainly not your only option but one that
I think would work.

Charlton