Server spec

Brock Anderson banders at REFRACTIONS.NET
Mon Jan 30 19:15:12 EST 2006

Ed,

This is a hard question to answer because there are so many variables.

I would suggest that you set up single copy of mapserver on one
computer, and use a performance testing program like JMeter
(http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/) to simulate several concurrent
users.  Keep adding to the concurrency until the average response time
reaches the maximum you deem acceptable.  That should tell you how many
requests one server can handle.  Do a little math to figure out how many
computers you need for 2000 concurrent requests.

Keep in mind that there are many ways to improve the speed of
Mapserver.  You'll probably want to do everything you can to squeeze
performance out of your servers.  It would be a good idea to optimize
Mapserver and your .map file before you do these calculations.

Two thousand concurrent requests is a lot, so how you define
"concurrent" makes a difference.  In my experience mapserver doesn't
perform as well when it is hit with many requests at precisely the same
instant, but if you distribute those requests over a short interval
(even just 1-2 seconds), mapserver performs better.  That second case
also tends to be more typical of a real application environment.  With
JMeter you can "ramp up" your concurrent requests to help simulate this.

Good luck.

Brock