Boston Free Map

Thu Jul 6 02:17:23 EDT 2006

Beauty Christopher, thanks for sharing- both the application and the under-the-hood information! I look forward to seeing OpenLayers move forward.

Steve

>>> Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at CRSCHMIDT.NET> 07/04/06 9:43 AM >>>
It is my distinct pleasure to announce the redesign of the Boston
Free Map:

   http://boston.freemap.in/

This map is powered by ka-Map and OpenLayers, using Mapserver as a
rendering engine. More information about the map is available from

  http://boston.freemap.in/about.html

Including a link to the mapfile:

  http://boston.freemap.in/basemap.map

This map is served through the support of the Free Map project. The Free
Map System is designed to run as an open hosted service for mapping
applications using free and open source software, public and copyleft
geographic data, and community information anywhere in the world.

All data for the Boston Free Map is available under an attribution
license from MassGIS. The mapfile is similarly released under an
attribution license by the Free Map Project.

Mapserver has proved to be a hugely useful tool for rendering, and
ka-Map has successfully solved many of the issues related to creating
and caching tiled images from Mapserver. Many thanks to all
participating members of the Mapserver and ka-Map projects for creating
the software which allows the generation of this map.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer