Mapserver and Curl (or libcurl)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Jul 7 11:37:51 EDT 2006

Chip Taylor wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if MapServer 4.8.3 is compiled with libcurl?  I need to
> use it in an SSL environment, with a WFS layer.  Curl doesn't do SSL but
> libcurl does.

Chip,

I'm not sure I understand your question, or your point about curl/libcurl
with regard to SSL.

MapServer uses libcurl to fetch http responses.  Curl is a set of commandline
tools built on top of libcurl, but MapServer doesn't use Curl, though we
might sometimes say that as a short form meaning libcurl.

Second, you aren't clear on what MapServer binaries you are asking about.
Options (like SSL support) will vary depending on which binaries you are
getting.

Third, whether curl or libcurl support SSL will depend on the build options
used with libcurl as far as I know.

When you talk about using SSL, do you mean making https requests?  I recently
did some experiments with accessing a WFS server from MapServer that required
"certificates".  I found I had to make some changes to maphttpd.c to get it
to use the certificate.  I don't think this is necessary for simple password
protected https, though I didn't try that.

Best regards,