SHAPEPATH problems

Ryan Ollerenshaw ollerery at ENGR.ORST.EDU
Wed Jul 12 18:28:19 EDT 2006

Quoting Trond Michelsen <trondmm-mapserver at CRUSADERS.NO>:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 10:13:18AM -0700, Ryan Ollerenshaw wrote:
> > I am having some problems accessing my shapefiles the below works:
> > SHAPEPATH "../data/themis"
> [...]
> >  TILEINDEX "thm_dir.shp"
>
> > but when i change it to:
> > SHAPEPATH "../data"
> [...]
> >  TILEINDEX "themis/thm_dir.shp"
>
> > all i get is a blank page.
>
> I think this is because of the tileindex. The tileindex includes the
> names of the real shapefiles, and if I remember correctly, these paths
> are interpreted as being relative to SHAPEPATH, not as relative to the
> location of your tileindex. So that means that mapserver finds your
> tileindex, finds out which shapefiles to use, and starts looking for
> them in ../data/, while they're actually in ../data/themis/
>
> A possible fix would be to recreate the tileindex.
>
> --
> Trond Michelsen

yes rebuilding the tileindex in the /data/ directory does fix the problem but i
wanted to have all my data for a specific data type in one folder and not have
the tiles in the /data/themis/ folder and the tileindex for that data set in
/data/.  The problem is that i have a lot of different datasets so it would be
nice to have all the data for one dataset in one folder (tiles and tileindex).
But perhaps that is not a possibility.