Using postgis to store tile index

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at PROPERTYKEY.COM
Thu Jul 13 07:43:53 EDT 2006

John Preston wrote:
> I am currently using the TILEINDEX parameter in the LAYER section of
> the  map file to get tiling implemented. Is it possible to use a
> postgis table to store the tile index instead of a shape file (xxx.shp
> and xxx.dbf) as I may have a very large number of tile (~10,000) and I
> was figuring that the postgis solution would offer better response
> times.
>
> If not does anybody know what I kight do to speed up the response time
> when I have say 10000 files within a particular scale region.

Make sure that your tileindex is correctly indexed using shptree.  Also,
if only have one layer set up to handle a wide range of scales, you
might find it performs better if you build overview layers for the
higher scales so you end up opening less files per request.  I have
several layers set up that have over 100,000 images that perform
perfectly well with a standard shapefile tileindex.

---
Jeff Hoffmann
Head Plate Spinner
PropertyKey.com