Maximum number of class styles, 5, has been reached

Ludwig Max Brinckmann ludwigbrinckmann at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 13 11:53:12 EDT 2006

I am using Mapserver through Primagis, which uses mapserver as rendering
engine.

I have a road network which I want to display at varying zoom levels in
different ways, with the roads rendered by stacking styles on top of each
other: eg. a wide black line on top of which comes a narrower yellow line on
top of which comes a narrow black line, which overall gives the impression
of a divided highway as we know it from paper maps.

I do this at varying zoom levels, but then when rendering I get the message

MapServerChildError: insertStyle(): Child array error. Maximum number of
class styles, 5, has been reached

which comes from classobject.c.

Obviously, I can change this in map.h and recompile.

But is there a good reason for such a low maximum? Is it there to protect
people from their own errors or is there a significant performance penalty
or some such?

Ludwig